Sunday, November 25, 2007

Install HP LaserJet 5SI drivers on Mac OS X


I recently acquired a HP LaserJet 5Si printer for my home office.  It's a bit overkill (this thing weighs over 100 lbs), and was a bit hard to get across the city (in a cab),  but my wife loves laser printers and prints like 20-30 pages a day.

I started installing the drivers on the various computers around the house and ran into a snag when I wanted to install it on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.  The OS recognized the printer on the network and configured it correctly, but when it printed all I got was junk... 50 blank pages then random characters.  Apparently this printer doesn't support PostScript.

After searching around I found some information about the HPIJS printer driver and installed it and it's dependencies (foomatic and ESP Ghostcript. 

Here is what you need and in what order:
  1. Download and Install ESP Ghostscript - espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg
  2. Download and Install Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X - foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.ppc.dmg
  3. Download and Install HPIJS for Mac OS X- hpijs-2.7.10-UB.dmg
  4. Go to System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> Click the "+" to add a new printer.
  5. Choose "IP".
  6. Choose "Line Printer Daemon -LPD" for the Protocol
  7. Type in the network address for your printer... ie 192.168.0.100
  8. When it finished finding the printer, select "HP LaserJet 5Si Foomatic/hpijs" for "Print Using".
  9. Click Add.
  10. Print a test page by going to the printer and selecting "Printer -> Print Test Page" from the Menu at the top.

You can find more information about using this print driver at: 
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs

I had one problem though.  If you have only 4MB of RAM / Memory on your printer, you will receive a 20 MEMORY OVERFLOW DATA LOST error.  I found some memory on EBAY for $10 and it now works fine (I bought 96MB).

Labels: , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Juni said...

I just used this to set up the printer for another computer. Yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home