Install HP LaserJet 5SI drivers on Mac OS X
I recently acquired a HP LaserJet 5Si printer for my home office. It's a bit overkill (this thing weighs over 100 lbs), and was a bit hard to get across the city (in a cab), but my wife loves laser printers and prints like 20-30 pages a day.
I started installing the drivers on the various computers around the house and ran into a snag when I wanted to install it on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. The OS recognized the printer on the network and configured it correctly, but when it printed all I got was junk... 50 blank pages then random characters. Apparently this printer doesn't support PostScript.
After searching around I found some information about the HPIJS printer driver and installed it and it's dependencies (foomatic and ESP Ghostcript.
Here is what you need and in what order:
- Download and Install ESP Ghostscript - espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg
- Download and Install Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X - foomatic-rip-188.8.131.52.ppc.dmg
- Download and Install HPIJS for Mac OS X- hpijs-2.7.10-UB.dmg
- Go to System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> Click the "+" to add a new printer.
- Choose "IP".
- Choose "Line Printer Daemon -LPD" for the Protocol
- Type in the network address for your printer... ie 192.168.0.100
- When it finished finding the printer, select "HP LaserJet 5Si Foomatic/hpijs" for "Print Using".
- Click Add.
- Print a test page by going to the printer and selecting "Printer -> Print Test Page" from the Menu at the top.
You can find more information about using this print driver at: http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/MacOSX/hpijs
I had one problem though. If you have only 4MB of RAM / Memory on your printer, you will receive a